SkillsCamp is a soft skills training company. We work with businesses and educational institutions all over the world to build soft skills in their staff and students. Across all industries, employers and industry leaders repeatedly identify soft skills like communication, teamwork, time management, emotional intelligence, and leadership as critical skills for employees. Yet, these core skills and several others are relatively absent in the traditional education model. The result is people without the requisite abilities to excel in their careers and wellbeing. SkillsCamp teaches this “missing curriculum” through live in-person and online programming, content licensing, and online courses. You can learn more about our values, approach, and clients, on our about page.
About the role
Title: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Remuneration: Open to negotiation
Your Location: Canada or US
Size of SkillsCamp: 5-10 people
The world needs soft skills and we’re growing to help even more people learn the skills they need for success. We are looking for a visionary COO with strong business acumen to steer our company’s operational processes, ongoing operations and systems, and help set us up to reach our next level with ease. As we are still early in our growth, you will be part of building a foundation that will carry this work forward for decades. You will be a key member of the senior management team, working with the CEO, to shape the future of SkillsCamp and soft skills learning.
The goal of the COO position is to secure the functionality of the business to drive extensive and sustainable growth.
- Work with an organization that’s truly making a difference in the lives and careers of people all over the world (Really! We’ve worked with organizations in Canada, US, Australia, UK, Russia, Singapore, and elsewhere).
- Results-only work environment where you control your own time and calendar.
- Unlimited paid vacation and emergency sick days, including a company-wide break from December 23rd to January 2nd.
- Health care spending account
- Professional development opportunities outside of your role.
- Work remotely, from our Toronto office, or a mix of both!
- Work for an organization whose clients boast LinkedIn, Peloton, Microsoft, GM, Pepsi, all levels of government, startups, as well as non-profits such as the Salvation Army, Friends of Ruby, the University of Toronto, and others.
- A unique opportunity to join an organization with a strong foundation, but yet early enough to truly steer its future impact.
SkillsCamp is 6 years old, but the global pandemic has fortunately resulted in us expanding what was once majority in-person soft skills education into a growing, online, international endeavour ripe for growth. With more and more research coming out every day supporting the needs for soft skills, especially in the wake of AI, automation, and robotics, we are very certain SkillsCamp is ahead of the curve and is ready to be here as people have caught on to what we’ve known all along. We now need a new leader in this company to help get us to that next level of impact.
- Develop actionable business strategies and plans that ensure alignment with short-term and long-term objectives developed in tandem with the CEO
- Collaborate with the CEO to create the most effective roadmap for the next 5 years
- Set comprehensive goals for performance and growth
- Oversee daily operations of the company and the growth of key business functions (i.e. marketing, sales, finance, legal, IT, human resources, etc.)
- Assist CEO in fundraising ventures
- Manage company finances: p&l, budget, cash management, reporting, invoicing, accounting, etc.
- Structure formal and informal partnerships with key collaborators around the world.
- Adhere to company, federal, state, and local business requirements, ensuring compliance and taking action when necessary
- Maintain and build trusted relationships with key customers, clients, partners, and stakeholders
- Ensure effective recruiting, onboarding, professional development, performance management, and retention of our team
Who You Are
- You are impact-driven. Perhaps you’ve had a career before, but you’re keen on working with an organization that’s making an important social impact in the world now. You want to be proud of where you work.
- You are ready. You are ready to take on a leadership role at this capacity and excited to use your skills for good.
- You’re entrepreneurial with internal motivation. You want to build something amazing. You’re resourceful and always looking for ways to improve yourself and your performance without having to be told.
- You’re financially/data-minded. You find meaning and value in the numbers and can easily translate that to action and communicate them to others.
- You are not afraid to speak your mind. You will be able to stand up for yourself and your ideas, and you will also receive and give feedback in direct, respectful, and actionable ways.
- You respect the diversity and richness of people. You believe we all have lived experiences and honour the perspectives learners bring. You speak and write in an inclusive way.
- You are emotionally intelligent and socially aware. You can usually “read between the lines” of what people are saying, especially over email. You engage with others with ease.
- 2+ years experience in executive leadership positions
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development
- University degree or proven equivalent
- Understanding of advanced business planning and business functions (i.e. marketing, sales, finance, legal, human resources, etc.)
- Strong business acumen and an entrepreneurial spirit
- A solid grasp of data analysis and performance metrics
- Ability to make business projections
- Able to diagnose problems quickly and have foresight into potential issues
- Experience with fundraising
- MBA, BA, or business-related education
Our commitment to you
- We will use the resources at our disposal, to help you meet your goals.
- We will treat you with respect and kindness, and support inclusion and belonging here and in our community.
- We will continue building an impactful brand and company you’ll be proud of.